Monday, September 3, 2012

Bangbay, 33 years old

How much do you run?
I haven't run consistently in a couple of years. I've been struggling with Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome and can't run for more than a few minutes at a time. Before, I was running 3-4 times a week.

How long have you been a runner?
I started running around April 2008.

How did you start running?
I needed to make a change in my life. I wanted to lose weight and feel good about myself. I had never run a mile before, so I was going to try out running. I didn't know how serious I would take it. I spent six months working up to running a mile without stopping, then working on running faster. It took a year to get up to three miles. Then, I signed up for the L.A. Marathon and joined a running group. Less than two years after I first started running, I finished a marathon and lost 24 pounds along the way.

Best running experience
I ran the Disneyland Half-Marathon, which was a lot of fun. My favorite part of the route was when we ran through Angel Stadium on the field. There were a lot of high school marching bands and cheerleading squads out there rooting us on.

Unexpected benefit of running
I think I have a better understanding of how far distances are by foot. I'm also more aware of bicycle lanes, uneven sidewalks, and elevation changes.

Running-induced crazy story
My company had our holiday party the night before I was supposed to run 15 miles with my running group. I had planned to be good and be ready for the run, but that didn't happen. I couldn't get up to meet my running group, but I made myself run the 15 miles by myself a few hours later. That was tortuous because: I was hungover, it's much harder to run in the afternoon than the morning (I always ran along the beach), and I was so bored running that far alone.

Advice for new runners
Listen to your body. I don't think my foot problems are necessarily from becoming a runner. It's because I was slow to treat pain I felt after the L.A Marathon (although it was also due to misdiagnoses by doctors) and that I also ran the Disneyland Half-Marathon six months later when I was still in pain. I wouldn't give up the running experiences I've had, but I probably could've taken a better path. I am disappointed to not be able to be running right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment