Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Mike, 46 years old

How much do you run?
At least 4 times a week.

How long have you been a runner?
Most of my life. 38 years.

How did you start running?

Running in the Columbia Track Club in Missouri. 

My dad's friend at the university was trying to get a runner for an interesting relay where the collective age of the two runners need to be under 50. It was run on a track. He would run one lap, I would run one lap, and so on. My being only 10 years old was a big plus! 


We ran as a team three or four years in a row so I found each year that my times would improve.  I was proud to be able to contribute more to our performance as I got faster.


Best running experience

The 2009 Twin Cities Marathon was the perfect weather for a great performance, although it was not a good year to be a spectator. It was in 40s at the start with a cold drizzle. This was particularly remarkable because in 2008, although my training was just as successful, there isn't much you can do when it's 90 degrees on race day.  After the year before, it was particularly sweet since I was able to qualify for the Boston Marathon. It was exhilarating.

Unexpected benefit of running

After a run, I like to say "I have a free day." I'm free to eat and drink what I like, relax or not. I've taken care of my health in a tangible way and taking care of my happiness is what comes next. Running allows other indulgences.

Running-induced crazy story

I used to run 10k events in my teen age years.  Sometimes when I ran too fast (relative to my training--I never won anything),  I would get sick to my stomach.  No problem, I would detour a few yards into the ditch.  Heave, ho.  And I would be running again, feeling better!  It used to make my brother hysterical!!

Advice for new runners

Do lots of events, fun runs.  The energy of a crowd is so inspiring.  Not every run needs to be for a PR or all out.  Having events dot the calendar will help maintain motivation and break up the monotony of training.

No comments:

Post a Comment