Thursday, October 18, 2012

Lolline, 35 years old


How much do you run?
Probably average 20 miles a week. That's enough to make me feel good like I've met my goals but not so much that it gets in the way of other things I need to do.

How long have you been a runner?
Since 1993, my junior year of high school.

How did you start running?
As me and my friends started to worry about college applications, I decided to join the track team to have an extra curricular activity. 

I continued to run sporadically for general fitness until about 2008. When I decided to run a half marathon, I found a training program and made running a priority. 

Best running experience
I've had some great experiences racing but the freedom of movement is the best part of running even if that isn't a specific time or experience. It's that feeling that keeps me coming back to it. I like training hard and meeting my goals. The freedom of how it feels to just be outside pushing myself on my own, or taking it easy chatting through a run with a friend, that every day joy of running is the best experience. 

Of course, there are times when I don't want to go for a run at all and I'm not into it for awhile but there are other times when I get distressed thinking about how to fit a run into the day since I need one that badly. It's funny how you can't predict those mood swings around running but you know they'll come.

Unexpected benefit of running
Running has taught me to expect more for myself. It has taught me that I'm stronger then I think I am. It's taught me to live with discomfort in a tough workout or getting through a run on a day when the weather isn't cooperating. There is a lot of discomfort in life as a whole and you being able to sit with it and get through it leads to the next good thing. When you get to the other side, the discomfort is always worth it. 

Running-induced crazy story
At one 10k race, I saw this runner in her 60s wearing shorts who I've seen in several other races both before and since. She had poop all over one of her legs and didn't let it stop her, slow her down, or seem to bother herself nearly as much as it upset those of us who saw her that day. There are certain things that I will not run through. There are times I get sick of it. There are times when I need a break. Nothing is worth finishing a race once I've pooped myself. Maybe if she was wearing pants it would have felt differently.

Advice for new runners
Listen to your body and take it easy. Give yourself time to adjust to all the stresses of becoming a runner. If you have a pain or a tightness, don't run through it until you've gotten accustomed to what normal running discomfort feels like. It take awhile to be able to tell the difference. Following a training program to the letter instead of listening to your body causes injuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment