Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Doug, 70 years old


How much do you run?
These days, 5 miles a week but it has varied dramatically over the years.

How long have you been a runner?
More than 55 years.

How did you start running?
I always enjoyed running. In my early teens, it was clear that I didn't have basic speed relative to my friends but I had a lot of stamina. That's when I started running longer distances.

When I hurt my shoulder in the beginning of my junior year of high school and could no longer play tennis competitively, I joined the track team.

My college had an indoor track and harsh winters. I was able to run comfortably inside a few times a week.

It just feels good. I don't feel the need to race.

Best running experience
Running along the C+O Canal early in the morning. It is a peaceful and beautiful place at that hour.

Seeing the sunrise over the dome of the Capital while running on The Mall is a close second.

Unexpected benefit of running
I think it has contributed to my being healthy and not having weight problems. I run for enjoyment so this has been a happy side effect.

Most of the time, I've run alone. Since I married Bev about 12 years, I've had the opportunity to run with my wife. We both look forward to spending this time together.

Running-induced crazy story
Senator Bill Proxmire was my neighbor. One morning in the late 1970s we ran part of the way to the Capitol togehter. He told me about his running to work and running to a pool to go swimming on his way home most days. While we ran, it was remarkable how many people who said hello to him. As a man in his early 60s, it was uncommon at that time for someone of his status and age to be so dedicated to fitness.

Advice for new runners
Don't increase both speed and mileage at the same time. I enjoy running close to my limit. When I train more, I'm able to do more... until I hurt myself. As a result, I started training for a marathon a few times but never stayed healthy long enough to run one.

No comments:

Post a Comment