Saturday, September 1, 2012

Stacy, 44 years old

How much do you run?
A couple times a month these days.

How long have you been a runner?
Since I was about 15 years old.

How did you start running?
I ran to keep in shape for basketball. I don't know where it came from, as my coach didn't require it, but it was just something that I wanted to do.

Best running experience
For my first marathon, I would meet my friend Michelle every Saturday morning at 6am to do the long run. I looked forward to our running together. During the work week, I would get up and crank out 9 miles and I didn't think twice about it. It's great to think about how, with a goal like the marathon, it wasn't a question. I just went out and put in the miles. 

Unexpected benefit of running
Being part of the subculture of runners. Like, being on a plane with a stewardess who had on a running watch and instantly feeling a connection. We're all part of this club.

Running-induced crazy story
I'm on the subway going to the NYC half and have my number on. There is a guy next to me who has been partying all night. He was German and still drunk. 
He tells me "Hey-- I'm supposed to do that run!"
"Where's your number?"
"It's in my apartment"
"The race is in 45 minutes."
"Do I need it?"
"Yeah, you need it."
"Well, how about I run it with you?" 
We needed to sprint to get to the starting line before they pulled up the starting line. He ran the whole 13.1 miles with me. It was a great time.

Advice for new runners
Slow down, take your time, and enjoy what you're doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment