Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Elke, 36 years old

How much do you run?  
I'm training for a marathon right now, so I'm running about 50 miles a week. 

When I'm not training for a race, I run around 30 miles and mix in more cross training.

How long have you been a runner?  
Running has been part of my life since I was a teenager. 
I've always been athletic (TaekwonDo, rowing, tennis) and running is part of every sport. 

Two and a half years ago, I switched to running exclusively.

How did you start running?  
A friend asked me to help out in a relay race. Two of the teams all had matching Front Runner New York (FRNY) jerseys because they all belonged to the same running club. I really liked that "sharing a passion" feeling, so I joined FRNY too. 


Best running experience  
When I race, there are always so many teammates racing or cheering. 
It doesn't matter how slow I run. That support from my club is my most treasured experience.


Unexpected benefit of running  
You feel really good after a run. Even if you didn't feel like running certain days, you know once you start and get out there, you'll love it and feel very accomplished afterward. I don't listen to music because I use runs to "think things out." Whether it's a problem I had at work or with a loved one, running gives me the chance to reflect on that. I also usually have the best ideas during a run. :)


Running-induced crazy story  
There was a time when I'd "pick up" random guys on my runs. No, no it's not what it sounds like. Running is such a community sport and most people are really nice and helpful. 

Last year, I almost always ended up running and chatting with a complete stranger at Central Park. I'd start my run and after a few miles, a guy would fall into my pace and strike up a conversation. I ended up learning about one guy's plans to buy an apartment in NYC, how much he made in a year, that he was married with two kids, without ever knowing his name.


Advice for new runners  
Talk to experienced runners and pick up biographies by famous athletes. Every novice runner is fueled by excitement about running, which is so wonderful. But excitement can sometimes lead to doing too much too soon. Seasoned runners usually have great advice for any running-related obstacle.

No comments:

Post a Comment